Cinnamon is a spice scientifically known as Cinnamomum; which is extracted from the inner bark of a tropical evergreen tree of the laurel family, Lauraceae. It is a spice that is brown and has a very good fragrant and aroma. It is a very versatile ingredient and can be used to make any dish spicier or sweeter. It is used to give flavors to varieties of cuisine, foods, sweets, savory dishes and is very much popular in bakery products. Cinnamon is available in the form of powder or as pieces of bark. It has been used throughout history dating back from Ancient Egypt as it used to be rare and very valuable. It was considered as a gift for the kings back then. But nowadays, it's very cheap and is available in every corner of the world. It can be found in local shops, groceries, supermarkets, or malls.
Types of cinnamon.
Cinnamon is mainly of two types:
Ceylon cinnamon which is native to Sri Lanka (Ceylon), the coast of India, Myanmar, South America, and West Indies, is also known as True cinnamon.
Cassia cinnamon is native to China and is also known as Chinese cinnamon.
How cinnamons are extracted?
Cinnamons are made or extracted by cutting the stems of cinnamon trees, then the inner bark is extracted from it and cut into small pieces.As the cinnamon dries, it curls up into little rolls. These rolls can be ground to form a cinnamon powder or can be used as pieces.
Benefits of using cinnamon
1. Cinnamon reduces the risk of heart diseases and lowers the level of bad cholesterol.
2. It shows beneficial effects on reducing/lower blood sugar levels as it increases insulin sensitivity.
3. It also boots a person's immune system, protects from bacterial infections, and also helps to lower your risk of diseases.
4. Cinnamon contains large amounts of highly potent polyphenol antioxidants. It protects our body from damage caused by free radicals.
5. It can also be used as an air freshener and an ant/moth/mosquito repellent. Just a few drops or sprinkle it in your room or lotion to prevent yourself from a mosquito bite.
6. It is high in substance with medicinal properties.